Sunday, November 29, 2009

I don't want to work, I just want to knit all the live long day . . .

I just spent the better part of the four-day holiday catching up on a mountain of chores. Understandably, we let most things slide while the teen was in the hospital; but now it's time to pay the piper, so to speak. Laundry, yard work, basic cleaning, and organizing took up much of each day. But we also ate well, went to bed when we were tired, and slept until we were rested. Each evening, as Christmas movies began popping up on Lifetime and the Hallmark Channel, I rewarded myself with peaceful knitting.

Bliss.

I consider it a blessing to be able to do simple things like cleaning and organizing. There's a timeless feel to hospitals. Everything inside the patient's room stops while the world spins along. When you emerge, it's with a sense of being way behind.

Now I feel caught up. If only the teen could feel the same. Unfortunately, school work just keeps piling up, a double whammy with Dunwoody High School's merciless block schedule. (Which is why I'm lobbying so hard to change that schedule - miss a week of school and you're two weeks behind. And finals are just a few weeks away!)

We're enjoying the feeling of normalcy while, deep in our hearts, we know it's a very transitory thing. Crohn's is a pitiless disease, and it isn't curable. But we're blessed in so many ways. He's home, we're together, many people are praying for him, and God is with us each and every moment, good and bad.

Thanksgiving indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog when I was looking around Ravelry for a not-too-complicated shawl pattern. I like both of the patterns you've listed. May try both of them, too.
    I've had a little experience with Crohn's because my nephew has it, and with the whole missing-school thing because I was a teacher for several hundred years.
    I know, though, that when you're exhausted and stressed the last thing you need is total strangers giving you advice you don't want or need, so I'll do this:
    My email address is dsrtwillow AT gmail.com
    If you'd like to write to me, we can talk. It may be that every idea I have is something you've already tried, but if you have the energy, we can talk about it.
    If I don't hear from you, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, your boy and your family.
    And thanks for the patterns. I'm putting them both in "favorites".
    God bless you.
    Willa Jean Dooley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - it's great to hear from you!